Sunday, January 25, 2009

OMG. Worst. Shopping. Trip. Ever.

So I head out on my way to get my only-semi-crunchy-hat-obsession, preparing to drive 20 or so miles to get to the closest EMS. I'm driving along and I see a cop so I make sure I am not speeding. 40, perfect. Relax and drive. About 10 seconds later the cop pulls out, speeds up behind me and pulls me over. Normally, when a cop pulls me over I freak out - I'm usually speeding or whatnot - because I know he "caught" me. Not this time. I immediately pull over, roll down my window, and impatiently wait for him to do whatever he's doing, so that as soon as he's in earshot I can ask "I'm sorry officer, WHAT did you pull me over for???" His answer: "I saw you on your cell phone." Me: "WHAT????"

Now, I won't lie and say I've never been on my cellphone in the car since the law banning that has been passed. I have a headset but sometimes get on the phone quickly on speaker to check in with someone. But this time I HAD. NOT. BEEN. ON. THE. PHONE. So unfair! So I tell him this very clearly, and he asks for my license and registration, etc. I ask if he wants my insurance too. He says sure. At this point I'm really mad - and shaky, because it's still scary even though I knew I'd done nothing wrong - and I again say "Sir, I WAS NOT on the phone. I swear!" Then he does something abhorrent.

HE WINKS. Winks at me, smiles, and says, "We'll I'll let you off this time." Winks, as if he's doing me a favor, as if we're friends or something. UGH. GROSS.

I end up driving off, calling my boyfriend to freak out and getting more and more worked up. I know my shopping won't go well if I'm this upset, so I get BF to give me the Police Department phone number. I call and speak to the dispatcher - end result? She tells me I have a verbal warning because I "must have proven to him that I wasn't doing what he thought I was." So I'm like great, now I wasn't doing it and it's still in the computer record when they pull me up! The dispatcher assured me no one will see it but I don't know... anyone have experience/knowledge on that front?

Anyway, on to the rest of the shopping trip. I get to EMS, beeline for the hat (hatS actually, because I loved another too), try it on, and it is PERFECT. I had been worried it would itch but it was the coziest, comfiest thing ever. I take it to the register and it rings up as FORTY DOLLARS. Now that is the list price but the online price was less than half of that. And the other one is THIRTY. I get all upset again and leave. I come home (reverse that good ol' 20mile trip) and log on to ems.com, and of course it says "ONLINE ONLY" now. My bad.

So two bad things, one my fault the other SO NOT. Off to run this off - or walk if my lungs are protesting too much...

No comments:

Post a Comment